Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Goliath My Sling My Rock

I opened my Bible today to the story of David (I Samuel 17). I read the story of the war with the Philistines and then David and Goliath. Goliath was a giant, even by today's standards. A giant of a problem. He was rude and made everyone uncomfortable. He embarrassed and shamed the Israelites- mocking them and their God saying that they will not win the fight. The Israelites were terrified as most of us would also be; frozen by our fears.
David however trusted God and went to single hand combat with this giant- only a sling and 5 stones. What did he see as he walked into the valley between the two armies and saw the full measure of his giant? Did he think of the bear or the lion he had killed as he kept watch over his herd of sheep. Was he confident in his own ability or did he just simply trust in his loving Father and know that it was all going to be OK. For the battle belongs to the Lord.
We all know how the story ends- David kills Goliath with just a single stone and the might of God's strong hand!Don't we all have a Goliath in our lives? A giant that just seems extraordinary and impossible to conquer. For me obesity is my giant. Everyday it is a struggle-an extraordinary struggle. A giant charging at me that I fear and cannot control. Laying here in my bed, I feel the weight pressing on my lungs-making it difficult to breath. My knees and back ache. A constant reminder that my body is suffering from my giant. But today, I choose to take hold of my sling, I have chosen my rock and I choose to fight back. Although I am afraid-This giant will no longer conquer me nor will he defeat me. There will be freedom for me. And in the end I look forward to seeing my giant defeated and the four stones in my hand as if proof of my faithful God- who knows my struggle and loves me anyway and won the battle in spite of my fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment